Sunday, January 4, 2009

My only resolution this year is.....drum roll please.....TO HAVE ENERGY! Seems simple enough, but for me, it's actually quite an elusive goal. You see, I work night shift, which normally is so very wonderful, but lately I can't seem to recover. I spend a day preparing for work (by sleeping), and then a day recovering (by also sleeping). So when you think about it, work zaps 5 days out of my week instead of just 3. I am on the list to move to days, but that may take 6 months or longer. Sigh. I have other things working against me as well. I have ulcerative colitis (thanks mom), and while this normally doesn't slow me down, but I have been having a flare the past couple of months. I had a colonoscopy last week, and the doctor decided to quadruple my medication, even adding two more. I haven't felt the results of the change yet, but I'm hoping it comes soon. I am trying to think of ways that I can help to increase my energy level and here is what I've come up with so far:

-eat better. I have been so fatigued lately (see above) that I eat what is convenient, mainly anything microwaveable or from a box. This is really not good for me, especially with all the intestinal issues.
-stop drinking so much soda. I drink diet drinks, so the calorie thing isn't a concern. However, sodas in general are just bad for you, not to mention the carbonation gives me reflux.
-get more exercise. I don't do any formal exercise, but I do walk to most everywhere I go. The weather has been bad the last couple of weeks, so I haven't gotten out as much. Leah gave us a Wii Fit for Christmas though, and as soon as I get the extra room set up, I vow to "play" on my days off.
-take vitamins. This would seem like an easy thing to do since I already take medication three times a day...but I can't find a pill box that will fit everything I need to take. So the vitamins get left out, and of course I forget to take them. I moved them right next to my electric tea kettle, so we shall see if that helps me remember.
-leave the blinds up. Sounds weird to say, but I feel more energized when I can see the world outside. There is very little sunshine right now in Seattle, so being holed up in a dark apartment probably isn't helping.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

4 comments:

JSGrey said...

mmm yah - vitamins...and get some of those daylight bulbs...

Anonymous said...

call your loverllly sister!!! love you...and ill call you too i swear, its my new years resolution!

Blake said...

That looks like a good start to me. Exercise and sleep are key for me. And diet. Let me know what works - I think I'm about five years deficient of energy.

Debbie said...

Britt and I went to a health food store yesterday and one of the ladies told her she should be taking a prenatal vitamin because of her age and the fact that she doesn't eat right...something you might want to think about.